Wednesday, September 2, 2009

urban farmers are born...

So, in the spirit of staying current, I'll give a quick update since my last entry, and try to bring things up to present time....After buying our home, doing major renovations - mostly ourselves - and having a kid - (born at home!), M. and I have spent the last year or so working a lot on our yard, and specifically on making it more functional. We added a fence, built a shed - then tore it down to create more space for gardens... moved my studio to another site so we could use the existing shed for storage, laid a patio with pavers, and installed a 2-sided bench on the back stairs to create an outdoor "mudroom" sort of space. This past summer, I got really inspired on the gardening front and really committed to more functional gardens. I read a bunch of books on organic gardening - specifically for the Bay Area too. Very helpful! M. and I dug another raised bed, so we now have 3 4x8 foot beds, and also planted in containers around the yard. In the spring, I ordered around $40. worth of seeds from Seed Savers Exchange, and planted beans, radishes, tomatoes, onions, corn, lettuce, beets, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, brusses sprouts, artichokes, peppers, sunflowers, herbs.....After losing my beehive to neglect about 2 years ago, I got another swarm from a friend's hive and installed them in my Top Bar Hive. So, the yard was up and running, and we've been reaping the benefits all summer long! We just picked our last beans and zucchini, and the tomatoes are just turning red. I just planted more potatoes, lettuce is still going strong, onions are almost ready to braid, and I've harvested one round of honey so far (about 15 jars). It was all such a fulfilling process, and eating food that we grew all summer was so amazing - it tastes so great, takes less time to cook, and holds all of the love and care we put into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment