Friday, September 4, 2009

pears, pears, everywhere




So, I was checking email the other day, and read a post on my neighborhood Yahoo group that somebody nearby had a pear tree full of pears and did anybody want some?....Free pears! After hearing about projects like Urban Forage and seeing movies like The Gleaners (fantastic French film) I was really excited about the possibility of harvesting some free fruit from the neighborhood. So, after farmer's market, I dragged M. and Z. over to this guy's yard, and we collected several canvas sacks of pears. Upon getting home and weighing them, we discovered we had 50lbs of pears! Needless to say, we've been eating lots of pears...pear juice...pear coffee cake....pears in salad....and this past weekend, I canned pears! Now, we'll be eating them in January too.

No comments:

Post a Comment